It’s almost Valentines Day! Are you going to celebrate it? Honestly, we won’t.. But I am always happy to have a reason to bake and try something new so I came up with a big heart made of cardamom rolls filled with homemade tonka bean cranberry jam and topped with lime icing sugar. I made a big heart to share with my family and then single rolls to share with friends.
You will find more inspiration for this Valentine’s Day here on the post, as I am sharing the ideas of my fellow bloggers, so go meet them and check out their lovely Valentine’s Day recipes.
I learned how to make the rolls from my friend Sofia, she made the classic Swedish cinnamon rolls “Kanelbullar” and they were simply delicious. She added cardamom powder to the dough and I loved it! I filled mine with homemade cranberry jam, flavoured with tonka beans and cinnamon for Valentine’s day because I wanted a touch of red. You may use any filling you like, the classic butter-cinnamon-sugar mixture or nuts, jams, chocolate and so on..
Ingredients for the rolls:
- 500 ml of milk, lukewarm
- 50 g of fresh yeast (or 12 g of active dry yeast)
- 150 g room temperature butter
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp grounded cardamom
- 730 g of plain flour
Ingredients for the filling and decoration:
- 75 g of butter
- 1 tsp tonka bean, grated
- 100 g of cranberry jam
- 1 egg
- granulated sugar
- lime juice and icing sugar
- In a big bowl mix the yeast (fresh or dry) into the lukewarm milk (500ml) and stir until it dissolves.
- Add the room-temperature butter (150g) in small pieces, salt (1/2tsp) and grounded cardamom (2tsp), as well as the flour (730g) and sugar (100g) and mix well for 5 (with a machine) to 10 minutes (by hand).
- The dough should not stick to your fingers, then it’s ready to rest.
- Cover and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Grate the tonka bean into the 75g of butter for the filling.
- Knead the dough gently, folding it a couple of times.
- Divide it into 4 pieces.
- Using a rolling pin, well buttered, roll each bun into a rectangular shape of approximately 15×30 cm.
- Spread some tonka flavoured butter on the top and then cover with cranberry jam.
- Now roll up the dough tightly on the longer side.
- Cut each roll in about 10 pieces and place them in big paper tins or on parchment paper.
- Cover and let rise for 40 minutes.
- Brush the rolls with the lightly whisked egg and add sugar if you wish.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 215 C for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once cooled down you can decorate with a simple icing made of lime juice mixed with 1-2 tablespoons of icing sugar.
Here is the recipe for you to print out:
Looking for other sweet buns recipes? Did you see the low-sugar pull-apart muffins?
Here are the recipes of my friends bloggers, simply click on them and you’ll land on their page!
Belma from Ahalni Sweet Home made a Valentine’s Day cake
Caroline from Linal’s Backhimmel has Heart shaped Waffels
Corinna from Kitchensplace shares Puff pastry apple roses
Jana from Lovinveganfood baked Stuffed Pancakes
Julia from Planty Healthy Food made Raspberry and Vanille Yogurt Cupcakes
Katrin from Fernwehküche prepared Buns filled with heart shaped eggs
Kathrina from Küchentraum und Purzelbaum has Valentine’s Day Pancakes
Rebekka from Kaleidoscopic Kitchen made a No bake valentine’s day Cheesecake
Sarah from Velvet and Vinegar has a Vegan valentine’s day Menu for two