Carrot cake recipe from down under
We have plenty of time for baking right now, but it is still important to feed our family with healthy snacks. So this coconut and carrots cake seemed to be the perfect choice for our Easter brunch. The recipe is from an Australian magazine, Delicious.
Last summer, before moving back to Austria from Singapore, where we had been living for 3 years, we visited Australia. It was only 10 hours flight from Singapore instead of 24 from Europe!
In 23 days we travelled through the whole East Coast, from Melbourne to Cairns, by car and plane. Now that travelling seems impossible, we are glad we had the opportunity to visit down under! Australia is simply impressive: friendly, huge, laid-back, natural, …
The cooking Globetrotter in Australia
The Australian cuisine is also amazing! Thanks to the mild temperatures there is an abundance of fresh produces in fantastic quality. I think we should do a culinary journey in Australia soon here on the blog, would you like that?
Now I am sharing with you a recipe for Easter: a coconut and carrots cake with yogurt frosting. Low in sugar and flour. It is quickly done and really easy.
Easy coconut and carrot cake
This coconut and carrots cake is perfect for your Easter Brunch, but also a healthy snack for your family and children. It is made with little brown sugar and flour and spiced up with ginger.simple
- 15 minutes
- 35 minutes
- 50 minutes
|150 g brown sugar|
|120 g butter, melted – use sunflower seeds oil for a lactose-free cake|
|100 g flourof your choice|
|15 tsp cinnamon powder|
|5 tsp ginger, grated|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|1 tsp baking soda|
|5 tsp salt|
|100 g coconut flakes|
|200 g carrots, grated – about 3 big carrots|
|1 tbsp coconut flakes|
|200 g yogurt – use coconut yogurt for a lactose-free cake|
|1 tbsp powder sugar|
|Marzipan carrots and/or eggs to decorateoptional|
- kitchen machine or mixer
Steps of preparation
- Preheat your oven at 160C (fan). Spray a plumcake (about 1 liter) baking tin with oil or butter.
- Separate the eggs, beat the whites until stiff.
- Mix the yolks with the sugar and beat until creamy. Add the melted butter while mixing slowly. Pour in the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and amalgamate well.
- Use a spatula to add the grated carrots and coconut flakes. Finally add the egg whites to the dough, carefully mixing from the bottom to the top.
- Pour the dough in the buttered baking tin. Bake for 35 Minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let the cake cool down on a grate.
- Mix the yogurt with coconut flakes and powder sugar and pour it over the cake before serving. Decorate with marzipan carrots and/or chocolate eggs, if you wish.
- Store in the refrigerator.
I am, like most of us, at home with kids and husband. Cooking healthy meals, that they all enjoy, isn’t always easy. And it was driving me (and my dishwasher!) crazy.
Next week I will share with you, how I manage to cook and bake for my family, making easy and healthy dishes. Don’t miss the next Blog Post! Subscribe to the newsletter here and get it in your mailbox!