Pumpkin soup with potato
It is time for healthy and delicious soups: here you find the recipe for my creamy pumpkin soup with potatoes – no cream needed!
The black drops on the soup are of those nutty and aromatic pumpkin seeds oil*. It is very popular in Styria, the eastern region of Austria where it is produced. If this is not available to you, simply use a good quality extra virgin olive oil and sunflower seeds.
I make all of my vegetable soups using this same method. You will end up with a creamy soup without even using cream! You can add some if you like, of course.
I will mention some possible variations to the soup, so keep reading if you are looking for inspirations and ideas.
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
1,5 kg of pumpkin of your choice
3 medium size potatoes
1 litre of hot vegetable broth
pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seeds oil (optional)
- Clean and cut the pumpkin in cubes. I used a Butternut here, but it works with any kind of pumpkin.
- Do the same with the potatoes.
- In a big pot heat up 3 tbs of olive oil and fry the chopped onion in it.
- Add some water, just to cover the onions and cook them until translucent, adding more water if the first one evaporated.
- Now pour in the pumpkin and potatoes and roast them, moving them around, for about 5 minutes.
- Cover it all with the hot vegetable broth. Add salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium heat until the potatoes and pumpkin are soft.
- Turn off the heat and blend the whole thing carefully with a handheld blender.
- Serve and top with pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seeds oil.
If you want a spicy soup add some turmeric and grated ginger.
Instead of pumpkin seeds and oil you can use sunflower seeds and olive oil.
You can also top the soup with whole-wheat bread cubes, roasted in some olive oil and sage.
This recipe can be adapted to any kind of vegetables: you can use carrots, peas, potatoes and leak, sweet potatoes or even a combination of them. Just follow the instructions and be creative with your spices.
When I am on a rush and don’t have time to make my own broth, I boil water in the electric kettle and then add some good quality dried vegetable stock.
Looking for the perfect bread to go with this yummy soup? Make those effortless and quick pumpkin spinach buns!
* affiliate link: dieser Post enthält affiliate links. Wenn ihr über diesen Link kauft, erhalte ich eine kleine Provision, dabei entstehen keine zusätzliche Mehrkosten für euch. Ich gehe mit affiliate links sehr verantwortungsvoll um und empfehle nur Produkte, die ich selber nutzte und liebe.