How to bake without sugar
Did you ever bake without sugar? I tried out this sugar free berries dream cake and was amazed, as nobody noticed that this beautiful cake was sugar-free until I told them!
It was still sweet because I used dates in the dough. The cream was a bit tangy for the kids, so I added some rice syrup for them.
You can make this beautiful cake in no time and with very little effort! Let me tell you how.
Sugar Free Berries Cake Recipe
* 100 g Medjol dates
* 125 g room temperature butter
* 225 g flour
* 16 g baking powder
* 2 eggs
* 1 tbs vanilla extract
* 125 ml milk
* 50 ml of juice of your choice (I used blackberry juice, but you can also use orange juice or whatever you have at home)
* 250 g raspberries or other berries of your choice
* 1 lime
* one handful of sliced almonds (about 15 g)
* 250 g Quark / Topfen (it’s a fresh cheese common in the German-speaking region – if it’s not available to you, use mascarpone or ricotta or a fresh mild cheese instead)
1. Preheat the oven at 140 degrees.
2. Place some wet and squeezed baking paper in a 20×25 cm baking tin.
3. Take out the pit from the dates (100g) and then chop them.
4. Whisk the room temperature butter (125g), flour (225g), baking powder (16g), vanilla extract (1tbs), 2 eggs, milk (125ml) and chopped dates (100g) together to form a creamy dough.
5. Pour it in your baking form.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Let it cool down (out of the form if possible).
8. Bring your juice (50ml) to a boil in a small pan.
9. Add 100 g of berries and turn off the heat.
10. Whisk the quark (250g) until creamy, this will take a while. If you are using mascarpone, no need to whisk it. If you are using ricotta, you may want to be a bit careful, as well as with other cheeses. The goal is to make a cream that you can then spread easily on the cake.
11. Add the 100 g of berries to your cheese cream and mix well, it’s ok to destroy the berries in the process, they will make the cream moist. If the cream is too tangy, you may add some rice syrup or
12. Once the cake has cooled down, pour the cheese-raspberry cream over it and spread it out nicely.
13. Pour now the raspberry juice mixture over the cream.
14. Grate some lime zest directly over the cake.
15. Decorate with the sliced almonds and the left-over berries
16. And finally enjoy!!
Try to make the cake with other berries or fruit!
I used dates and rice syrup rice syrup from Reishunger. Was really impressed with the quality of the dates.
Here is the recipe to print out!
This recipe has been featured in the Expat Living Singapore February 2019 Issue, Page 111.