What is your favourite Thai dish? I could not choose one. But at the moment I am obsessed with this refreshing, tangy, sweet, spicy salad: Thai Pomelo salad with chili prawns.
Pomelo is a very big citrus fruit that grows here in South East Asia, quite similar to a grapefruit, but bigger, it weights 1 to 2 kg! It is milder in taste than its smaller brother grapefruit and not bitter at all. The peel is very thick and the membrane are bitter, so you will have to patiently clean it and discharge them, only keep the flesh.
You should be able to find it at your asian shop. Ask for a ripe one. If not available, you can substitute with Grapefruits, but buy some on the sweeter side.
Thai Pomelo Salad with Prawns
This Thai Pomelo Salad is simple, refreshing and full of flavour! Add Prawns to make a nice and light meal out of it!simple
- 15 minutes
- 5 minutes
- 20 minutes
|1 qt Pomelo|
|2 tbsp toasted coconut flakes|
|2 handful of fresh coriander|
|1 qt small red onion|
|1 handful mint leaves|
|8 qts prawns|
|2 tbsp chopped roasted peanuts|
|2 tbsp soy sauce|
|1 garlic clove, minced|
|1 tsp tamarind (if available)|
|1 tsp palm sugar (or light brown sugar)|
|2 tbsp coconut cream|
|2 tbsp lime juice|
- salad bowl
Steps of preparation
- Clean the pomelo and put the flesh in a big salad bowl.
- Add 1 handful of chopped coriander (keep the second bunch for decoration) and mint, the onion cut in slices and 2 tbsp of chopped and roasted peanuts.
- Fry the prawns in hot oil seasoned with chilli or chilli flakes. Add salt.
- Let them cool down a little before adding to the salad.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing well together soy sauce, minced garlic, chopped chilli (use as much as you like, I take half for medium spicy), palm sugar, coconut cream and lime juice.
- Pour the dressing on the salad and toss well.
- Decorate with the remaining coriander and if you like, more mint and peanuts.
Make this delicious Salad for lunch, it’s great on-the-go (store the dressing separately and add it before serving) and make it vegan by omitting the prawns!
You can even prepare an incredible Thai Feast at home following the recipes in my Thai Food Section!