Best marble cake
What is your favorite simple cake? Ours, no doubt, is a fluffy marble cake, made following my Grandmother’s recipe.
She used to bake it for us every time we visited. So it is a very special cake.
And she had an interesting trick to make it so juicy and fluffy! Curious? Keep reading..
Marble Cake Recipe
This is a very simple cake and you’ll need just a handful of ingredients, but make sure to use good quality, as you are going to taste it!
* 200 g of butter at room temperature
* 200 g of sugar
* a pinch of salt
* 4 eggs
* 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
* 300 g of flour
* 16 g of baking powder (1 package)
* 10-20 ml of milk
* 3-4 spoons of cocoa powder
1. Start by heating up the oven at 180°C.
2. With a whisk (I use the kitchen aid) beat the butter (200g at room temperature, or softened in the microwave for 1 minute) and the sugar (200g) with a pinch of salt until creamy.
3. Now add one egg (4) at a time and mix in-between. Also add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
4. Pour in the flour and mix well together.
5. Now warm up 1-2 fingers of milk (10-20 ml) in a mug.
6. Ready for my grandmother’s trick? Here it comes: add the baking powder (16g) to the warm milk and mix. Be careful it will foam and fill up the cup quickly! Pour it into the cake mixture and mix.
7. Take your baking tin (if necessary spray with oil or butter) and fill it with half of the batter.
8. Add 3-4 spoons of good quality cocoa powder to the remaining batter and mix well together.
9. Now pour the cocoa mixture also in the tin and use a fork or a spoon to swirl around in order to make a nice pattern in the cake. Don’t overdo it thou..
10. Bake for 35 minutes.
11. Let it cool down for 10 minutes before removing it from the tin.
12. If you want, you can decorate with icing sugar and/or sugar butterflies. But do so only when it has completely cooled down!
13. Enjoy with a glas of cold milk!
Check out more original recipes from my home country Italy on the Blog: